Existing Member?

BAT out there

Sight seeing in Philadelphia

USA | Wednesday, 26 August 2009 | Views [373]

So I didn't exactly leave the hostel early this morning as I was waiting to say goodbye to Sam, Alley, Erin and Rachel who all left today.

But once I did leave I really got going on my two missions of the day shopping and sightseeeing.  I have decided i want some grey stonewashed skinny jeans so after about half a dozen shops I think i may have found a pair in Urban Outfitters that fit the bill but I'm going to think about it until tomorrow. Anyway the shopping required me to walk most of the length of Walnut Street (a lot of the streets here are named after trees!) Then i cut up to Fairmount park and went to see the steps of the Art Museum which are famous from the Rocky movie.  Didn't go into the museum as I am about arted out now but did get my photo with the Rocky statue.

Next stop was the Eastern State penitentiary which had a very good audio tour and was a very interesting place. A bit like going to Alcatraz but at least I can now say I have been to the two most significant old prisons in the states West and East coast. Oh Al Capone was held as ESP and they have a reconstruction of his cell, there were also a number of tales of escapes.  I particularly liked the one where one of the escapees came back the next morning and knocked on the door because he was hungry - ha ha ha!

After ESP i walked all the way back towards the hostel making various tourist and shopping stops.  City Hall - huge and impressive, Macy's - rubbish! Final stop was the supermarket and then the hostel.  had been on  my feet for 6 hours by this point and was exhausted. So had some food, which was foolish as there is free pasta tonight but I just couldn't wait another 2 hours to eat. Had a shower and then pretty much called it a day with my book.

Oh!  Chris, one of the Welsh lads, who I met in Austin, Dallas and New Orleans has arrived here today - nice to see a familiar face :o)

P.S. Quite excited about the fact I only have 6 more days until Bermuda.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.