Existing Member?

BAT out there

Downtown LA - not so bad

USA | Saturday, 11 July 2009 | Views [241] | Comments [1]

So the bus ride to downtown wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - could be cos I was nice and early in the day.

Really not sure what the place I am staying at is trying to be.  It says it is a hostel but it is tagged onto the side of the Cecil Hotel and acts more like a hotel.  I booked into a dorm room for 4 or 6 but the room they have me in has just one set of bunk beds so not sure what is going on there and the woman at reception has strongly advised me against walking to the greyhound station as it is very "ghetto" - HELP.

Well more later when I have been exploring - assuming I am still in one piece.

So it turns out downtown is quite interesting.  Lots of pretty cool buildings, very modern sky scrapers mixed in with older architecture and the most modern cathedral I have ever seen.  It is only 7 years old and very cubist, there are no stained glass windows but some beautiful modern tapestries.  There was a wedding just starting as I went in, lets just say the bride was pretty curvey and her ample boobs were pushed up so high by the dress they were in danger of being earmuffs!  but she looked lovely and I'm sure her husband to be wasn't wearing american footballers padding underneath his wedding jacket........

Anyway i wandered around for quite some time in this very hispanic neighbourhood, Oh the public library was another cool building, anyway one thing I have never seen anywhere before in my travels is such an abundance of wedding dress and formal wear shops where the dresses mostly look like meringues or old fashioned ballroom dancing dresses - some of them were so glittery and pearly I was glad I had sunnies on.  It did make me crave seeing strictly come dancing though :o(

Well I made it back to the hotel in one piece (obviously) and am now planning a long evening of watching rubbish TV as this is the first TV I have seen in  a month and it would appear I have the room to myself - Yippeeeee

See you all again in/after Las Vegas - Yeah Baby!!!!

 

Comments

1

Clare!!!
Guess what - Alesha Dixon has replaced Arlene Phillips on SCD!!
x xx x x x x x

  Vix H Jul 12, 2009 9:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.