Existing Member?

BAT out there

Worn out on the 4th of July

USA | Saturday, 4 July 2009 | Views [287]

So American independence day - honestly means nothing to me but certainly means a lot to the americans judging by the number of them out walking the streets all day.

I started out with a trip to Alcatraz which was incredibly interesting.  Unlike Robben Island where you feel sorry for those incarcerated there here you know they all deserved to be there.  the stories of attempted escapes and riots were very interesting and there was a great narrated audio tour by ex guards and inmates.  Spent hours there before going to pier 39 and having a boat ride under the Golden Gate bridge - as close as I am going to get as I have no plans to walk it or cycle across it!

Then a quick jaunt through the Aquarium which was full of screaming kids so not as fun as it could have been but I did get to stroke a leaopard shark.

Next up to Coit tower which is on a hill above San Fran and has great views, i didn't go to the top of the tower cos the wait was half an hour but I did look at the murals.

Finally I caught the bus down town and bimmbled about the shops before dashing back to the hostel to shower and change ready to go out.

I met up with all the folks from the Yosemite tour in their hostel and then we all walked over to the bay to watch the fireworks which I have to say Folks were pretty impressive.  Mostly red white and blue as you might expect and we were in a fabulous place to appreciate both the look and sound of the event.  Finally back to their hostel for a few more beers and a jamming session with 3 guitars, a ukelele and some drums.  An excellent celebration.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.