Existing Member?

BAT out there

Rocky Road Adventure

CANADA | Sunday, 11 May 2008 | Views [373]

So our first full day in the Rockies, but before we could go anywhere we had to call into the parks and information office to buy our National Parks Pass so we can legally drive around the many national parks in this part of the country. The main road through the Jasper and Banff National Parks in the Icefields Parkway so after a bit of souvenir shopping we set off down there to find a trail to hike.

And find one we did, the Five Lakes trail, the clue is in the name but just in case you can't guess the hike tooks us around the path of five lakes. Now the real path is 4.2 kms, classed as easy and you walk around 4 of the five lakes then cut back past the end of the fifth lake and Becky said she was up for this having not done much hiking before. Well we missed the turning and ended up walking completely around the fifth lake, which is of course the largest and means we probably walked closer to 6 or 7 kms AND there were one or two steep bits in there. But we managed it fine, the lakes were the most gorgeuos shades of blues and turquiose and green you could imagine, perfectly clear and surrounded by mountains and forest. I nearly managed to tread on a snake but just missed it and it hissed off and we saw some more elk. 

All in all a fantastic hike and our dinner was well earned.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.