Existing Member?

BnBcruisingthemed Been looking forward to this trip since 2020.

What a Wonder!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 6 November 2017 | Views [622] | Comments [1]

What an amazing area of the country we are now in.  Took a trip to Pancake Rocks and Blowholes, amazing!  Rock formations are stacked on top of each other like pancakes.  Large holes or openings in the rocks create blowholes that allow huge surges of ocean water to rise out of them at high tide.  Quite a roar when the water races in!  Lunch and then a wait for low tide further down the beach, it flattens out and you can walk out where all this wild surf has been.  Motukiekie Beach, extraordinary!  Reminded us of the California coast highway views.

Traveling down the west coast from Hokitika to Franz Josef Glacier.  Yes, there are glaciers in New Zealand and they are not easy to see.  You either have to be a hiker Willing to climb or use a helicopter to see and/or arrive at the glacier for a little walk ( very expensive). They are tucked into the crevices of the montain passes.  Of course, some of these are quite large but you cannot see them from the lower elevations.  Frank Josef Glacier was so named by the explorer who found it for the Austrian Emperor. Highest peak is around 10,000 feet.  Unfortunately for us, it rained all day and was very cloudy, we could not see a thing.  Dan and Kathy being the true hikers started out for the hike to the overview when there was a break in the clouds, after an hours walk they reached the viewing point and still were unable to see much!  They did capture photos of many waterfalls as there had been so much rain.  They were drenched when they returNed to our motel.  Hot showers to warm up and dry clothes and they were ready to go again!!

The highlight of our lodging here was the pet lamb "Minty". 9 weeks old that was abandoned by her mother because her back legs were weak.  We got to bottle feed her and she likes her bottle!  Sutherlyn, you would have liked this little lamby!  She followed the owner around like a puppy, so cute.

Saturday morning, we headed out for Wanaka.  Following this western coast is just breathtaking!  Very curvy roads, so around each corner is a new spectacle each so beautiful and unique.  Still raining, felt bad for Bill and Dan to have to drive in such weather, sometimes pounding rain making it difficult to see.

After our long drive, we arrived at the scenic town of Wanaka.  Nestled between the mountains and surrounded by lakes, you would swear you were in a ski resort.  The sun finally broke through about an hour after arrival and we sat on our deck and enjoyed the sun with a cocktail before dinner!  The town is filled with shops, galleries, restaurants and bars.  Our innkeepers, Fraser and Anne, recommended a restaurant called Relishes.  Good choice as we had a lovely meal before the fireplace and enjoyed a view of the mountains!

We are only a few blocks from town, easy walk to most everything, we are here for 3 days.  Hope you enjoy the photos, Wanaka is beautiful. 

Comments

1

Sounds amazing and beautiful. So happy for you guys! I know you have worked hard to get there! Our kiddos are really missing you. Hurry up and get home. Praying for continued protection and safe travels. We love you! 😘

  Jen Nov 7, 2017 1:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.