Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

Live and Learn

CHILE | Sunday, 9 March 2008 | Views [781]

Amy:  So two Canadians walk into a small restaurant in the Chilean town of Punta Arenas thinking they know exactly what they want and how to order it.  When they are greeted by the hostess they confidently say they want the “completo” which is a hotdog with avocado and tomatoes.  The hostess disappears and a waiter appears.  They interpret his questions as asking if they want one thing or a menu, since the first option was not the completo they ask for the menu.  A long time passes with no menu, then 2 bowls of soup are brought out.  The soup was delicious but now the Canadians are starting to wonder what it was they ordered.  The soup was very filling along with the bread and salsa starter so they attempt to ask for the bill but the hostess indicates that there is more food coming.  Soon after two bowls of a bubbling, porridge like casserole appear.  The first Canadian is reluctant to try but the second digs in thinking maybe this is some delicious local dish.   It only took a quick stir to discover a scary looking ingredient.  Any further tasting is abandoned and they quickly pay the bill and leave.  Upon further investigation it becomes clear what has happened.  A completo is not only the hotdog, it is also a set menu for lunch( have to love words with more then one meaning).  Secondly, it is easy to mistake menudo for menu.  Menudo we have discovered is poultry entrails.  Would likely be a really funny story if we weren’t the Canadians but it is still kinda funny.

 

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.