Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

The Wilds of Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 29 November 2007 | Views [930] | Comments [1]

Patti:   It seems like forever since we have offered an update and lots has happened in the last week. Our time in Kruger National Park was amazing and our warning about it being the wrong time of year to see animals did not play out. Within 30 minutes of entering the park there was a huge elephant that greeted us standing right beside the road. It was only one of the probably 200 elephants we saw over the course of our 6 days visit. The most memorable elephant encounter happened on our first camping night in the park. We had set up our tent right beside the fenced enclosure of the camp area and at about 1 am we were woken up by the sound of rustling leaves. I peaked out the tent and not more than 7 meters away was a huge elephant having its midnight snack. It probably stayed for about 45 minutes and we able to just be with it for that time. We pretty much saw every animal you could dream of seeing except for a leopard and/or chetah. This included rhinoceros, lions, hippos, giraffes, zebras, water buffalo, baboons, monkeys, impala, kudu, sable, nyala, fish eagle, tortoises, water bucks, various other birds, and others I can't remember. We will hopefully have a great photo journal to recall everything that we saw and will upload those soon.

We are currently in Cape Town having just arrived this afternoon and it is a beautiful city so far. We will have 2 days to explore before we start our overland safari. We thank Mary Louis fro her tips are we plan to go see the penguins tomorrow.

A new update will follow shortly and we will have good internet access for the next couple of days. Hope everyone is enjoying their winter...we heard is was -30 in Winnipeg.

Tags: Animals

Comments

1

Amy and Patti,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the postcards and notes. It was so nice to receive them so soon. You're on the adventure of your life and it's only the beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Christmas. Take care of yourselves.
Love Auntie Marguerite.

  Auntie Marguerite Nov 30, 2007 2:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.