Existing Member?

Wanders of the World

old News

FRANCE | Thursday, 25 October 2007 | Views [708] | Comments [2]

Did this one a couple of days ago but didn't get a chance to upload it until today. 

Amy: There is something comforting about staying in one place for a few days.  I am not sure if it is knowing where you are going to sleep, the ability to spread out or the supply of food we accumulate, but I have enjoyed the time we have spent here.  We are close to a grocery store, an amazing bakery and a beautiful park.  We didn’t actually do much today. We slept in, grocery shopped and spent hours just sitting in the park enjoying the sunshine, updating our journals and playing a few card games.  It was fun to just enjoy the sunshine and watch parents play with their kids.  There were a few groups throwing around a rugby ball, a lot of people shooting hoops and a couple of games of soccer going on.  It was a beautiful sunny day and the park was full of people.

 

We went to a local pub last night to watch the World Cup of Rugby final.  I think we got one of the last few seats with a view of the big screen. Unfortunately smoking is still allowed in the bars in France so it was a little smoky for us but we endured until the end of the game.  The crowd seemed to be split between cheering for England and cheering for South Africa.  I didn’t find myself cheering for either so I was actually able to just sit back and watch the game without any stress.  I also indulged in a pint of Kronenbourg ( I think that is how it is spelt) It was delicious.  I suggested to Patti that we go to New Zealand in 2011 when they are hosting the next World Cup.  I have not become that big a Rugby fan, I am just looking for an excuse to go to New Zealand.  A year is just not enough time to go everywhere I want to go.

 

We pick up our rental car tomorrow and will likely head in the direction of Nice.  It will be much different travelling by car.  50 -75 K won’t be nearly as far as it was on a bike.  It seems as though we are starting a new phase of our trip and I am looking forward to experiencing the South of France and Italy.

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Ahhh, new rugby converts! Now I just have to get you playing the best game in the world. As for New Zealand, how about we make it a foursome -I've always wanted to go there too and now that you've converted to use of motorized vehicles I think I could convince Karla that sharing a van or camper or something would be an awesome way to explore what's supposed to be an incredible country. Keep us in mind. Happy trails! Cori

  Cori Oct 26, 2007 12:16 AM

2

Two cows are wondering....do 'chicken legs' get bigger after doing all those hills on a bike? Count us in for New Zealand as well. Lynn has agreed(on paper) to do the 'Milford Track' as long as we stay in the high end(read: gourmet food and wine) overnight shacks, and I carry all her gear! Sounds like you two are having a great time, and it is cool to read about your adventures. Keep on treking, and stay well :)

  mary and lynn Oct 26, 2007 10:04 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.