Existing Member?

bill h's "Adventures in Europe"

Peugeot AutoEurope -- Solution or DIsaster? UPDATE

FRANCE | Wednesday, 23 November 2016 | Views [468]

A number of people have asked about the company I used for a vehicle and how that worked.  The company is Peugeot AutoEurope and they offer a somewhat unique solution for people needing a car for long periods of time -- you buy the car from them paying a fee upfront -- when you're done with the vehicle -- you return it -- they "buy" it back from you for the difference between the purchase price and the "fee" -- it's similar to a lease but technically you own the car while you're driving it.  

They handle all of the paperwork and provide 100% insurance coverage in the fee -- something happens, it's their problem to fix.  Their rationale is that they make their money by reselling the car after you return it -- taxes on buying a "new" car are very high in Europe but relatively low on buying a "used" car -- when they factor in the "fee" you pay with what they resell it for, they supposedly make enough of a profit to make it worth doing.

Depending upon how long you "buy" the car for, it works out to about half the cost of renting a car in Europe.

Those of you who have been following the journal know of the problems I've had with the GPS malfunctioning soon after I picked-up the car.  Apparently the GPS unit they installed in my car was an older unit and/or the software was years out of date.  As a result, you can imagine the "fun" it became to have a GPS you couldn't trust while traveling through countries where you didn't speak the language, where the roads are a virtual "rabbit-warren" and rarely marked by roadsigns and where relying on a hard-copy map (if you can find one) isn't really an option.  From what I gather, all newer vehicles in Europe come with a GPS unit installed -- even natives find it hard to negotiate the road system without one. 

The unit would frequently not recognize the of towns I was staying in, change my destination on-route to someplace I'd never heard of and in the opposite direction and change the lattitude/longitude coordinates (common pracitce is to enter eight digit lattitude/longitude coordinates).  Imagine trying to find a place like Green Mountain Falls with no roadsigns, not knowing the area and having your GPS directing you to Durango -- at times just a "tiny bit stressful" and one of the reasons I ended-up cutting my "journey" short -- there were times both the car and myself are lucky I didn't have a hammer in the glove box!!

Yesterday, I emailed a complaint to Peugeot about the car, describing the problems and told them I'd post their response here in the journal -- so stay tuned.

UPDATE:  After a few email exchanges, Peugeot, without apologizing for my GPS problems, refunded a few hundred dollars -- the portion I had forfeited by leaving Europe early.  At least it’s something -- didn’t make-up for the stress by a long shot -- the vehicle itself performed decently -- probably the only way I’d use them again would be if they gave me a written guarantee that they would exchange the vehicle if I had a problem with the GPS system in the initial car.  

Otherwise, my plan is to post another couple of entries about my journey -- recapping some of my favorite places and "must-see/must-do" things in Europe and my thoughts on some of the weird ways Europeans are different from the us (they really are not like us in many ways).

 

About billh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.