Existing Member?

bill h's "Adventures in Europe"

Coffee Meet-Up -- Parisian Style

FRANCE | Sunday, 12 June 2016 | Views [341] | Comments [3]

Short story -- primarily to explain the photo.  Today was my last Meet-Up event in Paris (third total) and was with a coffee group.  Fourteen signed-up -- nine showed-up -- sound familiar?  It was at the Umani Matcha Cafe near the Place de la Republic -- a fairly small, modern "hole-in-the-wall" just off the Republic.  

What a diverse group of people -- two from Poland, one from India, two from Japan, one from Vietnam, myself and two from France -- all very nice.  Conversations were interesting -- I speak very little French, Sunny from India speaks English but no French, Mimi from Japan speaks Jananese and is here learning basic French, Sakura who was born in Japan (only lived there one year) and grew-up in China and France and speaks, English and French, Sofia from Poland who speaks French and a little Engish, Auodra from Japan who speaks Japanese, French and fairly good English, Oliver from Vietnam who speaks French, Vietnamese, some Japanese, and some English and the other two who spoke French, and English at varying levels.  

Finally got answers to two questions that have been puzzling me.  1) Why is everyone wearing leather jackets and heavy coats in seventy degree heat and ninety percent humidity?  Answer:  It was still cold a few months ago and the French find it hard to change their habits -- plus a "it may be cold tomorrow" mindset.  2) Why do the French fly by you walking at ninety miles an hour only to stop two blocks later and stand around smoking a cigarette?  Answer: The French are conditioned that they should do things "quickly" -- so they walk and talk fast and then stop and smoke -- they're "doing something quickly" -- they don't quite get the disconnect.  

Thye apparently had questions too.  1) Why are Americans so gun-crazy -- it seems very dangerous?.  2)  Did Americans pick the two candidates running for President because legalized pot is affecting their minds?  3)  Why is good, home-made, bread so difficult to find in America?  

Had my first matcha drink (basically thick, powdered green tea) at the cafe and learned about its place in Japanese culture -- got invited to an authentic Japanese ceremonial tea party with the Japanese community in Paris (unfortunately won't be here next week, so had to decline) -- got an invitation to shoot some pool tonight in a Scottish pub with Sunny and Oliver (again declined).

All-in-all, a nice morning!  Stopped at a boulangerie on my way back to the apartment and got two of my favorite chocolate almond croissants for later -- leaving Paris on Monday and concerned I may not see them again (having withdrawal symptoms)!

Comments

1

Glad you are getting out of there soon. Warnings are up. Stay safe!

  Susie Jun 17, 2016 12:46 AM

2

The island is waiting for your visit! The Spanish soccer team is here for the month which is interesting. Town names written in Spanish and French. The sun is finally shining but it's probably just a June Fools' Day trick!

  christine Jun 17, 2016 2:53 AM

3

Hi Bill, I continue to thoroughly enjoy your descriptions of life in Paris!!!

  Judy F Webster Jun 19, 2016 6:07 AM

About billh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.