Existing Member?

bill h's "Adventures in Europe"

Marche Segur

FRANCE | Friday, 13 May 2016 | Views [298]

Woke-up to another rainy, overcast day -- what a difference from Colorado weather!  Got a slow start getting out, but eventually made it to the market -- was quite a ways away and took three Metro trains to get there -- wanted to try someplace different.  For the next few days, I'm still on the east side of Paris -- the market was on the west side near the Eiffel Tower -- could see the Tower over the treetops as I headed for the market -- made it feel like I really was in Paris!.  

This was a "nice-sized" market -- not too big and not too small, but it offered quite a bit of variety -- produce and fruit, three flower stalls, a guy selling entire sets of dishware, umbrellas, clothing, an antiques dealer, linens and cloth, bakery products and a poissonnaire selling fresh squid for those calamari fans out there!  

This was a true neighborhood market -- by the time I arrived, many of the vendors were running low on merchandise -- I was looking to buy some more spinach and artichoke ravioli and had to settle for cheese and tomato.  Spent some time talking with an Englishwoman, living in France, who had a forty acre apple orchard and was there selling apples and juice.  Bought a bottle of apple juice just because she was so interesting.  Also picked-up some pommes Dauphine for lunch -- puffed potato cakes -- not great but not bad (hey, they're potatoes, not a lot of flavor!) -- trying to sample local food when I can (and have the nerrve -- there's a bunch of stuff that falls into that category).  

Went back to the Hotel de Ville -- wrote a little bit about it yesterday -- mistakenly said Joan d'Arc was put to the stake there -- not true, it was in Rouen -- Christine is keeping me honest!  Sent her the inscription (in French) on the historic plaque I relied on -- talked about executions, fire and Saint Jean -- turned out to be refering to a different Saint Jean -- she cut me some slack! 

Having problems with my email account at Yahoo again (rapidly coming to detest that company) -- when I first arrived in Paris, they froze my account for "suspicious" activity (my accessing my account in France) -- got it resolved and thought that would be that, only to have them freeze it again today for "suspicious" activity.  Yahoo has no customer or technical support -- if they screw you over, they screw you over, end of story!  Got lucky the first time getting it to work, hope I can somehow do it again.

Have company arriving this weekend so may cut back on the daily updates for the next week or so -- I expect to be distracted!  We'll be spending some time in Belgium so will do my best to put up some photos. 

About billh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.