Existing Member?

bill h's "Adventures in Europe"

Market Day

FRANCE | Saturday, 23 April 2016 | Views [379] | Comments [1]

Today was "market day" -- one of the activities I've been looking forward to since I arrived.  Just like in the States, here in France they have farmers' markets different days of the week in different neighborhoods -- today was the day for the area I'm in.  There were actually two different markets that set-up -- one was to the east of me and the other to the west.  I'd seen signs go up for one of them earlier in the week but as French is still not my strong suit, I had only a suspicion as to what the signs were all about.  As a result, I only made it to one of them (got to the second one as it was closing -- it's back tomorrow so may wander over there then) but it was the better of the two and actually had both a farmers' market and a flea market component.  

Again, a cloudy, overcast start to the day (it rained some last night) but after a ten minute walk I rounded the corner and there it was -- probably over a hundred venders filling both sides of a small, narrow alley of three story buildings stretching for three blocks plus another thirty vendors who had taken over a small village square in the middle for a flea market.  Then you throw in the shoppers -- it was shoulder to shoulder, butt to butt in many sections -- there were baby strollers, dogs on leashes, vendors pushing carts moving more product into their stalls and the occasional motorcycle forcing it's way through the crowd -- a semi-madhouse just like you see in the movies with vendors yelling, shoppers yelling, dogs barking -- it was great!!  

Leisurely made my way from one end of the farmers' market to the other, going off on a tangent in the square to check for flea market "treasures" -- fortunately nothing I couldn't live without (or it was too heavy or large to haul around Europe and bring back) -- the main "treasure" I found was listening to the haggling that was going on (raised voices, flinging arms around, posturing as if to leave) -- it was fascinating, especially as I couldn't understand most of what was being said but I "got" what was going on -- like a finely correographed dance!  

The friuts and vegetables in most of the stalls were just gorgeous --big, brightly colored, fresh looking -- and it was hard to decide what to buy from whom.  Decided to spread my purchases aroiund and see if I was treated differently by onyone -- ended-up buying potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions and a couple other things -- everyone was upbeat and friendly -- although I think a couple of them were getting a good laugh out of my spastic attempts at speaking French!  It was an experience I hope to at some point in my travels come to feel as normal everyday life as opposed to being a curiousity.

A huge side benefit of going to this particular market was that I "found" the missing small neighborhood boucheries, boulangeries, fromageries and marches du poisson (fish) that I hoped would be here.  All is well with the world here in Paris -- at least for now!

Then it was back to the apartment, drop off my privisions and head out to restock my mineral water and wine collection at one of the nearby shops.  

After writing this short entry for today, it's back to the French lessons.  I've only been here a week and a day but already I'm getting more comfortable (or desperate depending upon how you look at it) in speaking short sentences in French and sometimes kinda, sorta understanding what people are saying in response -- I know it's only a "small step" but it feels like a major accomplishment. 

Comments

1

Yes!

  Christine leatherman Apr 24, 2016 12:51 AM

About billh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.