Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

But what are you doing about Jett's school?

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Thursday, 13 March 2008 | Views [1053] | Comments [1]

'You're what?'

I positioned my Buddha smile, took a breath, and started again.

'We're going Nomad.'

After the initial shock wore away from the collective face, he/she would ask 'But what about Jett? What are you going to do about his schooling?'

Well, I don't have a very high opinion of the system of schools anyway... but I braced myself for the barage of questions and thought I should answer with a journal entry.

While we were moving across the globe, staying a maximun of 3 nights in each new place, we took our staple English and Math books out at every resting opportunity. 

While travelling, Albert talked a lot about geography and Jett can identify and draw a 12 country map of Europe. Its a bit better than I could do at 8.

I can go on, one by one, and list the things Jett can do. But one can't pin point all the amazing things Jett has seen or done, or the things he has learnt and is still learning. The effects of his travelling is like a drop of water in a still lake. He talks of monkeys, elephants, Ganesh and cricket. His options are open and his understanding of the world expanding all of the time.

So far we love it. If you want to talk about travelling with children and ideas, feel free to get in contact with us.

I've been influenced by Maria Montessori, Ivan Illich, Home schooling, Unschooling and my own experiences.

Tags: children, study

Comments

1

Hi,
I'm probably biased, but my two boys have been travelling the world with us since 4 months old ...

Apart from the confidence and interests it generates, even potentially scary experiences have been of huge value socially (http://journals.worldnomads.com/simon_monk/post/455.aspx).

Having said that, this was about the only time we nearly just turned around and came home after 24hrs: http://journals.worldnomads.com/simon_monk/post/414.aspx

We also have quite a few travelling families to stay with us here in Sydney from time to time and they all seem to manage school/education no trouble at all.

Good luck. I'll be fascinated to follow your progress.

Simon

  simon_monk Mar 14, 2008 3:51 PM

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.