Existing Member?

Bec and Toms European Adventure

We love Berlin!

CZECH REPUBLIC | Sunday, 19 April 2015 | Views [219] | Comments [2]

Dobry den (hello) from Prague! We arrived this afternoon after a rough seedy morning (beers and new friends = vomiting on the train platform in an (unused) sanitary bag..lucky Tom and his backpack are a big combination and together could cover me up in the corner)..but we made it safely and alive 4.5 hours later. 

 
I'll take it back a week or so though to catch you all up. Amsterdam was pretty cool..a pretty little town covered with a cloud of weed scent that you walk into every 10 minutes. A mix of the Over 185 "Coffee shops" in Amsterdam alone and the red light district makes this place quite an interesting one during the day and definitely at night. We were a canal away from this lovely district so a walk through there at night was close and a walk straight back out was easy! We went to Ann franks house which was really interesting to see and do and as we were on our way to Germany soon, it was good to have little pieces of this dark history from a different country to piece it all together once arriving in Germany. We went to an exhibition also called body worlds. It was probably the best exhibition I've ever seen.. Made up of over 200 anatomical specimens of reAl human bodies.. If you're ever in Amsterdam you should go! I think there is one in NYC too! So that was really cool, unfortunately I couldn't take photos though as they are real people blah blah blah..so you Will all have to go and see it for yourselves. Then we did the local thing.. Sat ourselves in a coffee shop....and had a great coffee. The end. Bye Amsterdam. 
 
Next stop, BERLIN BERLIN BERLIN! Amazing, Berlin! As I posted on a photo on Facebook, it's difficult to find the words to describe this city, but it was unbelievable to be there and learn about this cities history and how they have over come and worked towards a better future after such a dark dark past, one that every person knows too well. Berlin has moved me, and Tom and I have both agreed we will be back for more one day! We did a 3 hour walking tour visiting the sites such as Brandenberg Gate, the Holocaust memorial, hitters bunker ( although you can not access it is as they did not want to be seen as a shrine for this man, all of the entries and exits are sealed..but being bomb proof..they also cannot destroy it), it is now a carpark, we visited museum island, the  library where book burning took place, the university that Albert Einstein taught at.. The list goes on and on.. We also saw where Michael Jackson hung his baby over the balcony haha. It's the most expensive hotel in Berlin! In Berlin we also did a tour of all of the street art which is really big there.. Ending in an old train station that was bombed in the war and never fixed..it is now a massive club/bar/rock climbing/beer garden/roller skating.. Very cool! 
 
Of course, we saw the East Side gallery of the Berlin Wall and walked the 1.3km length of it. We then took a tour group to Sachsenhousen concentration camp. If you don't know, Google it. And if you go to Berlin, it's worth the trip out there. It's completely insane to imagine what went on here and the scary part is, it wasn't even that long ago. But it was really good to see. 
 
We ate lots of good food in Germany.. Currywurst (curried sausages), pork knuckles, shnitzel..and Tom recons he had the best donor kebab of his life..whether or not his altered state had something to do with the flavour, we will never know. But the food is just getting better and better since we left the Uk. So all up, we loved Berlin, if you couldn't tell. We're feeling pretty confident with our German history too, which we both find really interesting and we can't wait to head back to Germany in 5 days.
 
So now, we are in Czech Republic. Our eurail passes are working a treat and makes us feel like we are travelling for free. Prague seems ridiculously cheap..we bought dinner ingredients tonight (veggie risotto mmmmm..haven't had a home cooked meal in 2 weeks) along with essentials..milk, cereal, butter, bread..the works..$18!! Crazy, the currency confuses the shit out of us here though, we constantly have our phone out with our currency app..it's especially confusing when getting money out... 2,000 korunas is only $100. Brain did not have the capacity to work that out alone today. Off to check out the city tomorrow,  no might do some day trips out of Prague if we have time as well. Here for 4 or 5 nights before we head back to Germany where we are staying with cousin Brenton to check out the real Germany..and consume more Pork and beer. Hope everyone is well, miss you all xoxo

Comments

1

Great blog guys glad to see you left your mark on the train station Bec lol. Hope you enjoy Prague. Berlin certainly sounds amazing. Love reading all about your travels. Xxx

  Gai Apr 19, 2015 6:41 PM

2

Love hearing all the details, you are writing with flair and zazz miss hetherington xoxo

  Jess Apr 21, 2015 11:44 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.