Existing Member?

kiting, diving, trippin' I ain't never been lost, just confused for a few days - Daniel Boone

Melaka Day Trip

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 24 May 2009 | Views [2141]

Melaka river house

Melaka river house

Found it Dad.

'North up the coast from Melaka 20 -30 minutes'. How hard could that be?

Not that easy when it's your first time here and the instructions are fifty years old.

All that is there now is a huge Petronas (State fuel company) facility, a lot of housing and three big units for three different divisions of the Malaysian armed forces.......with signs saying: "Photograghy Strictly Prohibited". So you'll have to take my word for it. The monkeys inside the yard near the guardhouse didn't seem too worried about us though.

Updated directions: Head north up the coast from Melaka and look for the signs to Kem Terendak. Simple!

Anyway we did a trip up the Melaka River on one of their river cruises, walked the streets near St Francis Xavier's church, waterfront stalls and restauarnts in the river mouth and Jonkers Street market area.

Trying to drive out of the place proved interesting enough. After the third trip through Chinatown and Jonkers Street I turned left instead of right and found a whole new way to kill an hour in side streets, illegally parked cars and bargain hunters.

Back to work the following day and the expats and locals are still shaking their heads. I've done a dozen trips to this quarry we're here to work in, and taken a dozen different routes. If I get lost for less than fifteen minutes now it doesn't count and I can navigate around KL by a handful of buildings and the few traffic signs still standing. It doesn't matter which way you're heading here, you're always heading to KLIA ? ?And I've seen more of this country in a few short weeks than most have ever done.

Couple of more blasts and it's off to Kyushu Island in Japan for a few months after a stopover in Weihai to renew my residant's visa for another twelve months.

See most of you soon ................

 

About bundynbeaches

Who wants to work after seeing a picture like this?

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.