Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Oaxaca and the Sierra Norte

MEXICO | Tuesday, 2 August 2005 | Views [1001]

We are now in Oaxaca (pronounced O  wack  ah) a wonderful colonial town about six hours from Mexico City. For the first time in Mexico we have arrived in tourist land, there are hundreds of tourists, mainly from Europe, wandering around clutching their Lonely Planets and pushing the prices up. This does mean that there are some good restaurants here and a bookshop with books you would actually want to buy, which is a huge relief. We have escaped from the city for a couple of days by going up to the Sierra Norte mountains about 50kms away. This area is a National Park and the home of the Zapatec people, who run their communities on a cooperative basis. So the villages in the park work together to provide primitive tourist facilities, and way mark the traditional walking routes between them. All the income is shared between the villagers so everyone has a vested interest in making the whole scheme work. The mountain villages are very high, around 3000 meters and very cold at night. In the day they have the wonderful fresh feel of all mountain places, although at first it feels like you are walking with lead boots on because of the thin air. The mountains are forested with occasional fields of maize, and they remind us of so many places we have been to, from the Black Forest to the foothills of the Himalayas with the difference that Hummingbirds dart around you as you walk. Weve enjoyed ourselves so much we are going back to there tomorrow for another weeks walking between the villages. Also in the last week, we have been interviewed via email by an Australian journalist on Career Breaks, as we seem to be becoming quite expert on taking them. One of the questions was - Is there more to life than work? Does this need an answer? We will put up a copy of the finished article when it appears.

Tags: Mountains

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.