Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Honduras and Lago de Atitlan

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 25 October 2005 | Views [998]

Last week we left Antigua to spend a week or so in Honduras. We visited the Mayan ruins at Copan and had planned to head to the coast to stay on the Bay Islands. We had to cancel this trip as Hurricane Wilma brewed up and the coast was put on Hurricane alert, so we fled back to the mountains of Guatamala. It has been almost three weeks since Hurricane Stan hit the country and communications have been slowly restored. We managed to get a bus to Panajachel on the shore of Lago de Alitlan. At one point everyone had to get off the bus to walk around a section where the road had collapsed. On each side of the break small communities had grown up with people selling food and drink, and porters carrying bags. The Lake itself is very beautiful and well worth the effort of getting there. We stayed in great hotel (The Iguana Perdida) on the lakeside near the village of Santa Cruz, where they have a party every Saturday night. This was outstanding fun, everyone had to be in fancy dress (they keep a supply of clothes for guests) and the local community of aging hippies turned up. They have discovered a few new tunes. We also walked along the lake side through some of the villages where the local Mayan women still wear traditional dress, with a different design for each village. Its easy to see evidence of the damage the storm has caused. Houses still a meter deep in mud and some just washed away into the river bed. The Guatamalans have worked flat out to restore communications but its going to take them years to get over this. We are off to El Salvador tomorrow where we hope to see the erupting volcano of Santa Anne, near the town of the same name.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.