Existing Member?

Stories This compendium of infrequently updated stories is my attempt to share some of the beautiful things that came cross my way.

A winter in Amsterdam...

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 2 February 2009 | Views [722]

It's been some time since the last post.


However, I want to share first something about this winter, and share some impressions of what it can be like here in Amsterdam!

As you all know, everybody gets somewhere here by bike. I get to my school by bike, and am so lucky that the path leads through the countryside. From Amstelveen I follow the river Amstel southwards, through a little village called Ouderkerk, with about 8000 inhabitants, then passing some farms, and a lake called "ouderkerkerplas". It takes about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how windy it is.


A bridge is passing over that lake. It looks more like a "pier", without sideholds, so you have to concentrate well when you pass it. A friend of mine had her bike blown into the water on that bridge! Holland on the edge.

Ya, and on this way, you still get to see some things:
You see the plants and trees grow, and bloom, wither away and covered under snow. The people of Ouderkerk still care for each other. It happened several times that I forgot something during shopping, and they make sure you don't forget it. There were people in need of something, and always someone stood up and supported. It is very beautiful.


This winter the ice was thick enough to do some ice-skating on it. I've attached some pictures of it!


Hope you enjoy,
Kai

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.