Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Easter Island Christmas Present

CHILE | Wednesday, 26 December 2012 | Views [2197]

A Christmas present, free upgrade to Business Class

A Christmas present, free upgrade to Business Class

Flying to Easter Island on Christmas Day is a bit – I don’t know – ironic?  It also seemed strange that the flight took us first from Santiago to Lima but who’s to complain?  It was the cheapest flight we could find and LAN gave us a free upgrade to Business Class for both segments.  I could get used to the tasty food, good wine and comfy bed with a fluffy duvet.  Merry Christmas to us!

The surly driver was a match for his wreck of a Toyota but who shines at 6:30 in the morning?  Chez Joseph, formerly Hotel Rapa Nui, is a good deal at $130 a night in a place where most hotels cost from $300 to more than a grand.  Ouch!  Our room is large with a partial view of the Pacific.  They let us move in right away and, despite the lux flight, we spent the morning napping and it wasn’t long before the hotel’s skinny gray cat took up residence on our bed.

ca

It’s short work to explore the Hanga Roa.  “Town” consists of a few paved roads lined with restaurants, car rental agencies, souvenir shops and tour operators.  The few “supermarkets” are scantily stocked and very expensive. Dinners cost upwards of $25, Cokes and beers about $5.  Only four supply ships visit Easter Island annually and most goods arrive by air but you can buy fresh fruit from the pick-up trucks parked on the main street.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.