Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Bariloche to Mendoza

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 20 December 2012 | Views [1983]

Biking to the vineyards, Mendoza

Biking to the vineyards, Mendoza

We were both sick for most of our five days in Bariloche, nothing serious, just nausea and over-all blahness.  I didn't eat a thing for two days.  It might have been delayed effects from the scopolomine.  Or it could have had something to do with the 28-hour bus trip from El Califate.  Flying would have been more comfortable but we wanted to see some of the countryside.  Besides, traveling by bus seemed more egalitarian than flying, more in keeping with the nomad lifestyle.  It was a bit like taking a bus from Kansas City to Yellowstone - as if someoone would even if it were possible.  Anyway, we didn't get much of a feel for Bariloche.  Cold and windy, a touristy town on Lake Nahuel Huapi full of tour companies, chocolate shops, outdoor equipment stores and St. Bernards.  But our hotel was cheap and comfortable with several English channels.  

     On the shore of Lake Nahuel Huapi

Even for us one day-long bus experience - and the aftereffects - is enough and we elected to fly to Mendoza.  Mendoza is positively tropical compared to El Califate.  Shorts and T-shirts seemed appropriate but I got a number of stares.  Guess men, at least old men with skinny legs, should dress more appropriately.  This is the heart of Argentina's wine country so we did the bike-thing through the vineyards of nearby Maipu.  It isn't Napa, except for a section beneath the eucalyptus trees the wine trail isn't scenic and the traffic is scarey.  But the wines are well-regarded, and tastey, especially the Malbecs.  Just a little buzz as we peddled back for a bus to the city.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.