Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Colônia del Sacramento,

URUGUAY | Saturday, 10 November 2012 | Views [795]

In love and nowhere to go

In love and nowhere to go

We should have known we couldn't just arrive at the port yesterday and waltz onto the ferry to Colônia del Sacramento, Uruguay. We had no idea that the 60 km trip across the Rio de la Plata would cost more than $100, "ida y vuelte."  Invoking our "we won't pass this way again" philosophy, we bought tickets for today.  Portuguese merchants established Colônia in 1680 to avoid the taxes levied by Buenos Aires.  When BA rescinded the taxes, Colônia withered on the vine.  Today the Barrio Historico is the only World Heritage Site in Uruguay - and the only reason to visit the country with three "U"s in its name.

    Barrio Historico

The boarding process at Buenos Aires was a large-scale demonstration of quantum physics; a mayhem of randomness with a touch of uncertainty and an infinitesimal probability that we would leave on time.  This is, after all, South America.  When we departed 45-minutes late we were concerned that we wouldn't have ample time to appreciate Colônia.  Not to worry!  The Barrio Historico is so tiny that we even had time to do some birding and have a nice lunch before rain forced us to scurry back to the terminal. 

may

       Quantum boarding process

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.