Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Stroll Around Vilnius

LITHUANIA | Thursday, 4 October 2012 | Views [1265]

Old Town from the Castle Tower, Vilnius

Old Town from the Castle Tower, Vilnius

A Connie-led walking tour, even in the rain, is a bargain at twice the price.  With the places of interest circled and numbered on her map of the Old City, she lead me to the Presidential Palace and the Cathedral Basilica, just around the corner from our Skopa apartment.  The Cathedral Basilica is one of 55 places of worship, mostly Roman Catholic, in Vilnius, many more than are needed we've been told.  Despite being 85% catholic, few of the city's half-million inhabitants practice their religion "religiously."  Prior to the Second World War, Jews made up 38% of the population.   The thriving ghetto, with the support of "christian" Lithuanians, waa emptied by the Nazis and most of the Jews were exterminated in the nearby Panieri Woods.  More Lithuanian Jews, as a percentage of the population (91%), were murdered during the Holocaust than in any other nation.  Only one synagogue remains today.

St annes

      St. Anne and St. Bernadine Church Ensemble

Above the Cathedral a single tower from the Upper Castle looms.  The views of the Old Town show how large it really is; bigger even than Tallinn, though not as medieval.  Somehow it wasn't damaged much during the war.  We could see the Gothic and Baroque spires of the Churches of St. Anne and St. Bernadine in the Old Town and Neris River running through the newer parts of the city and even make out the Uzupias neighborhood.  Lithuanians are unashamedly proud of their history and heritage.  The Uzupias area takes it to another level.  The Uzupias Constitution is posted in a dozen languages on a wall for all to see.  It spells out rights and obligations of dogs, cats and even people!  "Dogs have the right to be dogs."  "Cats are not obligated to love their owners.  But they are required to help out in times of need."  "People have the right to die, but they are not obligated."  "Never kill."  "Never fight back."  "Never surrender."

 connie and constituion

      Reflecting on the Uzupius Constitution

The Liteeratu is another interesting area.  Quotes, photos, works of art and other memoribilia from famous Lithuanians are neatly affixed to a plastered wall.  None of them, sadly, were familiar to us - not like Lithuanian-American athletes Dick Butkus and Johnny Unitas, musicians Jasha Heifitz, Aaron Copeland and Al Jolson, or the most famous Stooges of all, Larry, Moe and Curly.

Famous Lithuanians

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Lithuania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.