Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Cruisin' to Oslo

DENMARK | Saturday, 8 September 2012 | Views [1325]

Frogner Park on a rare sunny day, Oslo

Frogner Park on a rare sunny day, Oslo

Many people enjoy cruises for their simplicity.  They board the ship, sign up for all the shore excursions and their work is done; all they have to do is show up.  We, on the other hand, like the DIY aspect of travel and set out to see Oslo while the excursions were still getting organized.

Anyone who doubts the fortitude of the Vikings needs only to take a short ferry ride from the harbor to look at their ships at the Viking Museum in Oslo.  How they managed to cross stormy seas in such small, fragile boats isn’t as amazing as the fact they even thought they could!  The rest is history.  And when a ship was no longer useful, the frugal Vikes used it for burials of highly regarded people. 

      Viking ship, Viking Museum

Once you figure out the tram system, getting around Oslo is a snap.  The Frogner Gardens are just a few stops from City Hall, a perfect venue on a sunny day.  Frogner is the most visited site in Oslo, partially because of the sensual, whimsical and dynamic sculptures of Gustav Vigeland.  The best of the 212 pieces are the “Cycle of Life” series surrounding the “Monolith” in the center of the park. 

   Cycle of Life and Monotlith

Vigeland isn’t Norway’s only artist.  Or the most famous.  Edvard Munch is best known for his painting “The Scream,” one that I personally find annoyinng.  So I wasn’t really keen on visiting the Munch Museet.  But, like Salvador Dali, Munch’s art isn’t as bad as it looks and I found that I actually enjoyed some of his paintings.  And, after all, isn’t that why we travel?

 

   Munch, not too bad

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.