Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Electronics Conspiracy

SWEDEN | Monday, 3 September 2012 | Views [900]

Vena Vandarhem, Huslfred

Vena Vandarhem, Huslfred

The computer and the "smart phone" (if one is savy enough to master the technology) can be a real aid to travelers.  We have been using our MacBook to scout out World Heritage sites and to find hotel rooms.  Booking.com seems to be the go-to site in Europe and has been good to us.  Until today.

We had already prepaid for the room at Vena Vandarhem.  Too bad it was 300 km in the wrong direction from where we wanted to be.  And our SatNav was of little help; "she" just went along with the gag!  Evidently there are two towns named Falsterbo in Sweden.  Or maybe we can blame it on the Swedish alpahbet, just a matter of substituting 'å' or 'ä' for "a."

It was our last night in Sweden, we had pre-paid for the room and we had nothing else to do, so we followed the directions to what appeared to be the middle of nowhere.  What's a few hundred kilometers, anyhow? Don't get the idea this was Sweden's version of the Bates Motel, but when we arrived the place was deserted.  There was a phone number written on the door, which I supposed one should call in such a case.  We haven't been able to make our cell phone work in Scandinavia. The lovely young lady, maybe 12 years old, had blonde hair, freckles and sea-green eyes. She also had a cell phone, an Android or something and made the call for me.  She wasn't comfortable with English but informed me, "Guy coming."

       Not the Bates Motel by any means

The room we had was fine, despite the bunk beds, with a kitchenette and seating area.  The price was good, too.  With directions from a heavily inked woman in tight leopard print slacks and towering heels we found an open grocery where we bought frozen pasta dinners.  

We made it back to Copenhagen without mishap.  More or less.  We sustained simple rock chip in the windscreen this morning and watched it spider across the glass.  The rental company will charge us about $1000 unless the glass replacement company shows up at our hotel before we have to return the car.  No, we don't take full coverage.  And while this will sting, we're still ahead of the game.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.