Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Around Stockholm

SWEDEN | Friday, 17 August 2012 | Views [1065]

Drottningholm Castle

Drottningholm Castle

Sweden is a big country compared to Denmark and Wales, about the size of California. The roads are good and traffic is light.  It’s farm country with well-kept bright red farmhouses and barns, which really appeals to Connie’s sense of order.  Driving, even on the freeways, takes a while, so stops at places like Gripsholm Castle in Mariefred are welcome. 

        Gripsholm Castle

With the price of hotels when we find an affordable one with a central location we stay for a few days.  Sure there’s some back-tracking but it’s nice to know where you’ll rest your head and the SatNav always knows the way back home!

        Farm Country

Our room at Marsta isn’t the cheapest we’ve had but it is relatively convenient to Stockholm, has a fridge and a kitchen!  Pasta for two in a restaurant costs about $40 – without wine!  So making our own, even microwaving prepared meals, is a good deal.  We took advantage of the central location to visit Drottninghol Castle.  It’s scenic location on Lake Mälaren made it a favorite haunt of many of the Queens of Sweden.  While wandering around the formal gardens I met Philip and Dawn.  I knew they were Americans by the REI backpack Philip was wearing.  Like other Yanks we have met on this trip, they don’t actually live in the US.  They live and work in Beijing and have invited us to visit when we eventually get there. 

    Vaxholm

Stockholm is made up of islands, somewhere between 10,000 and 50,000 of them.  Only about a thousand are inhabited, like Vaxholm, where we spent the afternoon.  It’s a great place to people-watch and a haven for gardeners.  The bright yellow or blood red houses are exquisitely maintained and the yards are a riot of flowers.  And it was another beautiful day.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.