Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Danish Modern: Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

DENMARK | Sunday, 12 August 2012 | Views [1784]

Connie and Pablo, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

Connie and Pablo, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

The Louisiana Museum is Denmark’s foremost modern art museum.  It gets its name, not from the bayou country, but from the benefactor's wives, all three who were named Louise!   The museum brings together art, nature, and architecture in perfect harmony on the shores of the Oresund Sea and is a terrific spot even if you're not a big fan of modern art – which we are not.   Walking around the beautiful grounds full of sun worshippers and sculptures including works by Alexander Calder and Henry Moore was the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon. 

                         Living art

Inside the art is displayed in spacious, natural light-flooded halls and embody the very essence of Danish modernism.  I bounced back and forth between feeling annoyed, surprised and inspired, but never was I awed as I am with Impressionist works.   Of course there were the requisite Picassos and Pollocks, but not their best efforts.  The galleries we visited last were my favorite because they featured “New Nordic” architecture.  The Danish and maybe all the Nordic countries seem to thrive with sleek, modern designs that work in conjunction with nature and people, just the way it should be.

          Future artist

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.