Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Denmark: First Impressions

DENMARK | Tuesday, 7 August 2012 | Views [640]

Not much to look at for over $100, but home for tonight

Not much to look at for over $100, but home for tonight

We decided to abandon Copenhagen until the end of our visit, rented a car and drove to the area known as Jutland.  Driving in Denmark is a dream after nearly 5 months on the left-hand side of the road.  The highways are modern and traffic is nearly non-existent.  But you have to be aware of the omni-present cyclists who always have the right of way.  Petrol is expensive, about $8/gallon and the toll on the 18 kilometer-long Great Belt Bridge was a hefty $40.

And petrol isn't the only thing that's dear; everything costs a bundle!  We paid $115 for a "budget" hotel room with a 2X4 foot bathroom in the cute town of Aalborg.  Dinner in a decent restaurant will set you each back another $25-$30.

    Flat and windy

A friend who visited Denmark several years ago remembers it as a flat country where everyone rides bicycles.  It is also windy and wind farms seem to be in every wheat field and even in the water - the sea is never far away.  Wind power accounts for 20% of the electricity.  

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.