Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Sharing a Pint With Dylan

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 27 July 2012 | Views [964]

Sharing a pint with Dylan Thomas's spirit, Brown Hotel, Laugharne

Sharing a pint with Dylan Thomas's spirit, Brown Hotel, Laugharne

Making hay while the sun shines has a special significance in this rainy part of the UK and we took advantage of another wonderful day to visit some more local sites.  Tenby is a beach town of sorts, more like Riomaggiore on Italy's Cinque Terre than one of Australia's beaches.  Tenby is best viewed from above on the cliffs although many hearty souls were sunbathing below on the beach.  Some were even swimming and I could almost see their goose-bumps from our high perch.

    Goose-bumps on Tenby Beach

Other than Richard Burton, how many Welsh celebrities can you name?  Even Charles, Prince of Wales isn't Welsh!  Well, there is Dylan Thomas, Wales's most famous poet.  I admit I haven't actually read much of his work but today we visited Laugharne where he lived, wrote, drank and is buried.  We saw his writing shed and the boathouse where he lived.  I even drank a pint at the pub in the Brown Hotel where he quaffed more than a few.  Cheers! 

And I promise to read some of his poems one of these days.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.