Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Full Circle

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 30 June 2012 | Views [831]

Custom house, Historic Rockhampton, Queensland

Custom house, Historic Rockhampton, Queensland

I can tell our time in Australia is coming to an end; Connie has out the maps of Scandinavia.  We always start thinking about the next place, where to go and what to see, before we have finished up where we are.

We have come full circle in Australia.  When we were here in 2006 we concentrated on the eastern half of the country and got as far north in Queensland as Rockhampton.  Well, we are here in Rockhampton again, in the same caravan park, it turns out, as we stayed in last time.  And we will probably visit many of the same places on our way back to Brisbane.  When we told the woman at the Information Center we lived in Colorado, she said, "Oh, you're having a it of brush fire there, aren't you?"  Castle Rock and Colorado Springs have made the news over here in Australia.  They know about fires here!

In 2006 we thought Australia was charming, much like the USA in the 60s.  In the six years since, urban Australia has nearly caught up with America - huge malls, toll roads, housing developments - all those things we consider "progress."  I'm sure the Aussies think it grand.  But I'm not so sure.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.