Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Carnarvon Gorge

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 28 May 2012 | Views [1223]

Rock art, Carnarvon National Park

Rock art, Carnarvon National Park

It's miles and miles from Miles to Carnarvon National Park.  All but the last 14 km are paved but there are several streams one must ford.  The water was less than a foot deep today, but I can see how it could be a problem after a storm.

The Takarakka Bush Camp is one of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed at...and the most expensive.  The surroundings are lush, the sites large shaded, the showers are spectacular and it's only a few kilometers from the Carnarvon Gorge.  We are so far from anywhere that there is no light pollution and the night time skies are like nothing you will see in the Northern Hemisphere.

Carnarvon National Park has more Aboriginal rock art than any other park in Australia and it was a joy to walk the three plus miles to the "Art Gallery."  The main trail is only moderately hilly and is well maintained.  Even the many crossings of Carnarvon Creek are over strategically placed stepping stones.

The rock art was different from what we saw at Kakadu, not nearly as sophisticated and probably much older.  The most prevalent depictions were paintings of hands and carvings of females' vulvas.  Go figure!  A gray-haired Aboriginal teacher was explaining the paintings to ten Aboriginal teens when we arrived.  It's good to see young people taking an interest in their heritage but we really wanted to have the place to ourselves.  Yes, we are getting spoiled. 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.