Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ciao, Italia

ITALY | Sunday, 4 March 2012 | Views [962]

Morning fog, Montalcino

Morning fog, Montalcino

We left Sicily at nine last night on the overnight train from Palermo.  It was a debate right until the last minute whether we would take the train or the ferry.  The train won out more on logistics than on comfort.  Neither the ports of Palermo nor Naples are convenient to get to or from, although the ferry berths come with toilets and showers.  Train stations are centrally located, hotels abound and there is transportation to the airport for tomorrow.  Tring, our cabin mate, was on his way back home to Shanghai after several years juggling hats (truly) for the circus.  He worked in the States with Barnum and Bailey before coming to Italy.  Interesting guy and it was fun watching him bound cat-like to his upper bunk.

Our last night in Italy, near the train station in Naples, the worst area in the worst city, will be a survival test.  I just walked around looking for a supermarket, not easy to find on a Sunday.  Naples is a mafia town and thought I was on Times Square in NYC circa 1980.  Every piece of cheap junk you would never want is for sale on hastily set up tables.  Sharpies deal three card monte, complete with shills raking in their "winnings," always with an eye for the cops, who reputedly are among the most crooked in Europe.  It's too early for the hookers, the obvious ones anyway, but I suspect they are lurking if you know where to look.  But our hotel is nice and secure with a good wifi connection and BBC on the television, a rare treat.

In nearly three months we explored Italy from the top of the boot to its pointy toe and beyond to Sicily, the triangular island that is about to be kicked.  We visited new friends and met newer ones. Visitors find so much great scenery to see, so much to wonderful food to eat and wine to drink, so many people to watch - so much of life to live - that they might be tempted to skip an art museum or two.  Big mistake! Italy's art treasures are as much a part of its soul as the Colosseum and the Leaning Tower.  Italy is not for the "faint of art."  To get the most from your visit, study up on the Renaissance beforehand. 

This batch of "Schengen time" is about up and we must move on.  We are off to Australia tomorrow: Naples-Frankfurt-Abu Dhabi-Sidney-Perth.  I think we arrive on Wednesday - but I'm not sure what month!  We will travel/camp in a campervan rental rather that look for hotels. After all the cities we've been in, all the churches and museums, and all the restaurants, we are looking forward to some nature and home-cooked food.  And some warm weather.

See you there!

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.