Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Vincenza and Verona, a World Heritage

ITALY | Friday, 13 January 2012 | Views [1162]

Juliet and her balcony, Verona

Juliet and her balcony, Verona

Connie is a maker of lists: the bird species she has seen (2500); the countries we have visited (90 for her, 70 for me); where we spent each holiday and anniversary.  The current favorite, the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) World Heritage Sites, is growing every day.

Andrea Palladio was the Frank Lloyd Wright of 16th Century Italy.  His style, known as Palladianism, can be seen in the White House in Washington, DC, the Queen's House in Britain and in the palace in St. Petersburg.  But nowhere is there a greater concentration of Palladio's buildings than in Vinceza with 23 buildings and 16 villas.

Verona began life as a Roman colony in the 1st Century BC.  It's most famous, though fictional, resident was Juliet Capulet, born in the imagination of Wm. Shakespeare.  Despite all of the real beauty found in Verona, Juliet's balcony, which is actually an ancient sarcophagus, still draws the largest crowds and her bronze statue is being loved to death, at least her right breast is.  From the short time we spent there I rank Verona as one of my favorite towns, right up there with Strasbourg.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.