Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Volterra, San Gimignano and Montalcino

ITALY | Tuesday, 3 January 2012 | Views [977]

Wine tasting, Montalcino

Wine tasting, Montalcino

Volterra means “world that floats,” referring to the winter fog that often fills the surrounding valleys, but today the weather was clear.  Volterra has existed for 2000 years, built by Etruscans, influenced by Greeks, absorbed by the Roman Empire and embattled with rival Florence, which eventually bested it.  But Volterra has stood fast against the pressures of tourism.  Today it is a town where real Italians lead real lives, where shops sell clothing, wine, salami and veggies, not T-shirts and souvenirs.

San Gimignano, on the other hand, is a tourist trap, a charming one to be sure, and a World Heritage site to boot.  It was a pleasure to stroll through on a clear winter morning but I am not sure it would be much fun on a summer day packed with tourists.  Parking in hill towns is always an issue where even residents must park outside the city walls and everything always seems to be uphill.

Most visitors to Montalcino come for the wine, especially the Brunello (brunette) di Montalcino first made by the Bondi Santi family in the 19th Century.  We decided to spend the night and naturally we had to sample a few.   Yes, it is tastey – and expensive.  A bottle of Bondi Santi 1995 Brunello sells for 485 euro, way out of our league.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.