Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Even A Heathen

ITALY | Sunday, 25 December 2011 | Views [713]

Madonna of the Stairs by Michelangelo, Casa Buonarrati

Madonna of the Stairs by Michelangelo, Casa Buonarrati

This was another unconventional Christmas for us, but not as much a non-event as we had in Israel or Australia.  There are some lights strung along the Via Cavour and a large tree stands near the Duomo but otherwise Florence was surprisingly quiet.  No Santas, carols or shoppers scrambling for last minute gifts.  For a country where nine out of ten Italians consider themselves catholic, few regularly attend church.  

Yet I felt an enormous contact with season.  Christmas in Florence isn't commercialized like in the US.  With a church on every block and a cathedral on every piazza, religion is in the air.  And on the walls.  Paintings, some famous, some not so, adorn the walls, ceilings and chapels of both museums and cathedrals, Renaissance paintings that tell the story of Christianity from the Annunciation, the Nativity and the Adoration of the Magi to  the Crucifixion.  And it is great art.  The colors are vivid and subjects are real people with emotion filled faces, the models actual Renaissance Florentines.  And there isn't a fat Santa or Frosty in the bunch.  Even a heathen like me can catch the spirit.

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.