Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Monasteries of Fruska Gora

SERBIA | Wednesday, 9 November 2011 | Views [1300]

Call for morning prayer, Grgeteg Monastery, Fruska Gora

Call for morning prayer, Grgeteg Monastery, Fruska Gora

The rolling hills and winding roads of Fruska Gora are a pleasant change from the featureless farmland north of Belgrade.  They also provide the perfect setting for Serbian Orthodox Monasteries that date from the Fifteenth to Eighteenth Centuries. Their remote location not only protected the monks from the temptations of the outside world, it hid the monasteries from the invading Turks.

Sixteen of the original 35 monasteries still function today, and Sremski Karlovci's Hotel Danuv makes a great base for exploring them. Some, like Krusedol, were burned down by the Turks and later rebuilt.  The frescoes at Krusedol have been restored and look crisp and modern while those at Novo Hopovo are original in the style of Mt. Athos in Greece.

My favorite is Grgeteg Monastery, carefully tended by female monks. It is as peaceful and inviting as Santa Catalina Monastery in Arequipa, Peru but in a much nicer setting.  If it weren't for the entire religion thing - and vows of celebacy - I could consider a monastic life of contemplation.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Serbia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.