Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Bulgarian Impressions

BULGARIA | Saturday, 22 October 2011 | Views [975]

Goatherd

Goatherd

We turned in the rental car, booked our overnight train to Bucharest, and are waiting in the lobby of the Dedeman Princess Hotel.  We have covered quite a bit of Bulgaria, from the neglect of Sofia to the charm of Veliko Tarnovo and from the forested snow-capped mountains of Bansko to the stormy Black Sea resort of Nesebur.  We basked in bright sunshine, splashed in torrential rain, and shivered through a surprise autumn snowstorm.  We have driven past orchards and vineyards heavy with ripe fruit, into valleys thick with morning fog and wood smoke, past decaying Soviet concrete apartment blocks and through seemingly endless fields of wheat and corn.

But it is the visions of the people that will remain with me.  A young girl skipping through puddles, holding her mother’s hand / Old men smoking on a bench, recalling “couldas,” “shouldas,” and “wouldas” / Young schoolgirls with their Hello Kitty backpapcks / A family crowded into a horse-drawn wagon on a Sunday morning / An old woman with a load of firewood slung across her back / An old man with a long stick and a mangy dog watching over a herd of goats / A tiny donkey hauling a wagon load of leeks while his master walks alongside / A BMW speeding at us head-on, passing on a blind curve / Old women selling onions and shallots along the roadside / Men coasting downhill on bicycles loaded with firewood / Young women wearing impossibly tight jeans and high-heeled boots shrouded with smoke from their cigarettes / And hundreds of friendly, smiling faces. 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.