Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Stormy Weather

BULGARIA | Tuesday, 18 October 2011 | Views [1091]

October snow storm

October snow storm

To everything there is a season.  But October is not the season to be on the Black Sea in Bulgaria.  Nessebur's old Byzantine city is a UNESCO World Heritage site but was pretty much deserted this weekend.  Maybe, probably, it was the bitter cold, windy and rainy weather.  To our surprise there were several restaurants from which to choose; decisions were made not by the menu (good seafood at reasonable prices) but by the biggest fire, which felt very good after a cold day of birding.

The rain got serious over night and we had to ford hubcap-deep intersections just to get out of town.  Trucks speeding through splashed waves that reminded me of Lava Falls in the Grand Canyon over our tiny car.  Things got even worse on Tuesday – overnight the rain changed to snow – quite a surprise to everyone.  So we slipped and slided up and down the hilly roads to the Thracian Tombs at Sveshtari, only to find them closed on Tuesdays.  Not every day in the perfect life is perfect!

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.