Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Sparta

GREECE | Friday, 23 September 2011 | Views [1800]

Hoplite soldier, Sparta Museum

Hoplite soldier, Sparta Museum

Or Sparti, or ∑πAPTI, was the main rival to Athens in antiquity.  The two cities could hardly be more different.  Athens lies on the Aegean Sea in Attica, Sparta sits high in the Peloponnesian hills.  Athens was the preeminent naval power of the day, Athens boasted the most advanced army.  Athenian soldiers received glory from their victory over the Persians at Marathon.  Spartan soldiers gained immortality for their defeat by the Persians at Thermopile.  The Acropolis of Athens is one of the world’s most famous sites while Sparta’s acropolis lies in ruins in a grove of olive trees.  When Peracles used money intended for the protection of Greek city states from their Persian enemies to build the Parthenon, Sparta took offense.  The 30 year Peloponnesian War that ensued led to the defeat and downfall of Athens.

After wandering through the olive grove that is the acropolis of Sparta, we scored a large room in the Sparta Inn Hotel and set off to the museum.  There wasn’t much we hadn’t seen before or didn’t know about except for some fantastic mosaics.  Several were still “unpublished” so we couldn’t take photos, sad because they were easily the best ones yet.

Nearby Mystras took me completely by surprise.  It is a “tripartite” Byzantine city, built on three levels up a steep mountainside, around 400 AD.  It’s easy to forget how near Greece is to Constantinople, capital of the Byzantium.  And even though 400 AD seems recent after some of the things we have seen in Greece, it’s 1000 years older than what we marveled at in England. 

We climbed hundreds of steps through streets of ancient artisans, past churches, cemeteries, around the palace and finally to Hagia Sofia, the most holy spot in Mystras.  We skipped the fortress with lies above the whole city,

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.