Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Greece is the Word

GREECE | Tuesday, 13 September 2011 | Views [1125]

"I told you not to lean on it, John!" Temple to Olympian Zeus, Athens

Suddenly it’s summer.  After four cold months in Europe, we are wearing shorts.  Oh, yeah, we are in Athens!

It is surreal being in Greece.  Gone is the beauty of France, the orderliness of Germany and the familiarity of England.  We have no one to visit; we don't know a soul.  You can drink the water here but you can’t flush your toilet paper.  It’s not that I was fluent in Spanish, French or German, but I could get by.  I don’t know a word of Greek.  Heck,except for TKE, my college fraternity, I can barely identify the letters!  This is the beginning of a whole new adventure.

Why Greece? you wonder.  Well, we are running out of time on our Shengen visas, which allow us only 90 days in the EU in a six-month period.  Since we plan on spending the winter in the Balkans, Greece seemed like a natural.  So we have four weeks to spend on the mainland, beginning with Athens.

We arrived around midnight from Munich and spent the rest of the night at the airport.  Seems there was a taxi strike and the trains stopped running at eleven.  The floors were just as hard as we remembered them in Kuala Lumpur.  We barely slept at all and caught the first metro downtown where we found a reasonably priced (for Athens) hotel with a view of the Parthenon.  We set out immediately to reconnoiter the nearby Roman sites before returning for a much-needed nap. 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.