Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

English Heritage

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 22 August 2011 | Views [820]

English Heritage, Britain's best deal

English Heritage, Britain's best deal

The English Heritage pass is the best deal we found in England.  For fifty-eight pounds and a few pence we bought a dual senior pass that saved us over six hundred pounds . . . nearly $1000 dollars.  We started at the beginning, Stonehenge, and traveled through history visiting 62 sites up through the Cold War.

Many of the sites are what a friend calls “rubble,” ruined castles, abbeys, priories and such.  She forgets that we are Americans and as our British friends remind us, what we call history they call current events.  With a little imagination and the wonderful English Heritage audio guides, even the rubble comes to life.

Hopping from site to site brought us to places that many English natives haven’t visited.  We slowly began to piece together the history of England: the Romans, Saxons, Normans, the kings and queens, the Civil War and, always in the background, the importance of religion.  Each day brought new surprises and "ah-ha" moments.  And thousands of photos. 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.