Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

British History, One Castle at a Time

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 3 July 2011 | Views [1136]

Restormel Castle, Cornwall

Restormel Castle, Cornwall

Our British friends half-jokingly tell us what Americans consider history is actually current events.  As we travel through Cornwall, the southwestern part of England, we can’t argue the point.  Its history pre-dates the Romans and the landscape is dotted with castles from the 13th Century and the villages must date from the same time.  We are trying to piece together British history one castle at a time.

Many of the roads we are driving on have been around for centuries, some from Roman times.  Countless wagons and carts and herds of cattle have worn the roadbed down as much as five feet.  Now that they are paved it is like driving in a narrow ditch with high walls on either side.  The roads twist and turn and visibility is nil.  I am becoming more comfortable behind the wheel but it still takes immense concentration.

The metals for the Bronze Age came from the area and as recently as 1900 Cornwall produced most of the world’s copper and tin.  Cornish miners were in demand all over the world and many immigrated to North America.  Even the Mayflower sailed from Plymouth in Cornwall.  It was supposed to land in New York, but bad weather forced it off course and now Massachusetts has towns with the same names as Cornwall; Plymouth, Falmouth, Truro.  But Cornwall also boasts Gweek, Land’s End and Mousehole.

We have been making good use of our English Heritage pass to visit sites like the 2000 year old village of Chysauster and a series of castles like Portland, St. Mawes, and Pendennis that were constructed during the reign of Henry VIII to defend against the anticipated Spanish invasion.  The invasion never materialized but the castles saw action in England’s Civil War between the Monarchists and the Parliamentarians in the mid-1600s.  They were also manned during both world wars.

We have been based in a B&B in the town of Penzance, made famous by Gilbert and Sullivan.  It isn’t anything special but it is convenient to a number of World Heritage and National Trust sites as well as several RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) birding hotspots.  The weather has been surprisingly phenomenal, “lovely” in British parlance, and we have taken advantage of every minute.  We are running out of adjectives to describe the area.  “Charming,” “rustic,” “lovely,” “quaint” – you get the idea – hardly do justice.  Take a look at our photos and see if you can come up with some more.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.