Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Normandy American Cemetery: An Emotional Day

FRANCE | Friday, 24 June 2011 | Views [1917]

He died alone and unknown, Normandy Cemetery

He died alone and unknown, Normandy Cemetery

“The battle belonged that morning to the thin, wet line of khaki 

that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France.”

General Omar M. Bradley

 

We all know the significance of the D-Day invasion and Omaha Beach.  We have seen Saving Private Ryan and The Longest Day, maybe even read Steven Ambrose’s book.  But nothing quite prepares you for the sight of thousands upon thousands of snow-white marble crosses and a few Stars of David, standing forever at attention in perfect formation, each marking a life given that others might live free.  We know them by name, rank, serial number and date of their death.  Others are marked with “Here lies in honored glory a comrade in arms known only to God.”

They were 18, 19, 20 – some younger, some older.  They were private soldiers, non-coms and officers – even generals.  They died thinking of wives and children or calling for their mothers. Many would never  know a woman’s body.  Some had never even had a sweetheart to kiss.  Some died heroically and were decorated posthumously.  Other acts of valor were private and went unnoticed.  Many never fired their weapons and had no idea what hit them.  Others drowned before reaching the beach.  The living crossed the beach through a hail of bullets and worked their way up the hill only to learn that this would be their life, day after day, for the duration or until they, too, became casualties.

Few of us who have served our country since World War II ever saw combat.  We who have always knew how long we would have to stay.  What must it have felt like to think, like Sisyphus, this was your fate until death?

Words can’t express what I felt today.  Pride, I guess, gratitude, certainly.  I can tell you I was lost in my own memories, my body was shaking and my cheeks were wet.  And when a large group of French school kids ran rowdily through the cemetery, I wanted to remind them and their teachers that what lay before them was the only reason they could haughtily speak French and not German.  I didn’t of course.  My French isn’t good enough.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.