Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Burgos, Worth a Stop

SPAIN | Monday, 30 May 2011 | Views [985]

La Noche Blanca, Burgos

La Noche Blanca, Burgos

There is a town in northern Spain called Burgos that you probably haven’t heard of.  It is another stop on the Way of St. James pilgrimage and its cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The Spanish hero, El Cid, was stationed and is buried in Burgos, interestingly enough, along with his horse.  The citizens of Burgos are proud of their history.  They celebrated their candidacy for Cultural Center of Europe with a citywide extravaganza on Saturday that lasted until dawn.  La Noche Blanca had more than 100 events, including music, dance, crafts, aerial ballet and fireworks.

But the history of Burgos goes back even farther.  In the nearby Sierra Atapuerca karst formation archeologists have been studying early human civilizations and unearthed the most complete skull of Homo heidelbergensis.  Then in 1993 they discovered a new species, Homo antecessor.  This “explorer man” is believed to be in the direct evolutionary line with humans and settled in Europe more than million years ago.  Atapuerca can now boast of continuous habitation for 1.3 million years.

The Museum of Human Evolution is less than one year old and is a wonderful place to trace our human history.  The displays concerning the discovery of H. antecessor are especially well done and provide a good introduction to the techniques used modern archeology and paleontology.  For a few euros more the admission includes a bus trip to one of the sites in Sierra Atapuerca.  It was raining when we went to the site.  Our guide spoke only rapid fire Spanish, too fast even for the Spaniards, but it was still worthwhile if you are interested in paleontology.

Burgos is worth a stop whether you are on a pilgrimage or just traveling through northern Spain.  After all, people have been stopping here for 1.3 million years!

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.