Existing Member?

USA Diary

Las Vegas - Day 18: Mustang, Casinos and Fremont Street

USA | Tuesday, 20 November 2012 | Views [369]

This morning, one of Ben's dreams came true when he got to pick up and cruise around America in a new Mustang Convertable. 

We caught a taxi to Avis at the airport where the car was pre booked, and at 10 oclock on the dot we were in our red Mustang... ready to drive on the wrong side of the road, in the wrong side of the car. 

The roads in Las Vegas are long, straight and wide so it was not too difficult to get around, but because Ben had not driven since leaving Australia, let alone on the opposite side of the road. After leaving Avis, we took the car to a car park (by accident) and drove it around to get the feel of it. Once doing this, and putting the roof down to get the sun, we sped off down Las Vegas Boulevard at 45 MPH (again.. a speed we have no ideas about... but the speed sign said to do it). After the initial stress of "what the hell is going on" and reaching for the gear stick with his left hand like at home, which just hit the door... we were off and into the main strip of Vegas. We pulled in and out of Casinos, stopping for lunch and shopping at Ceasar's Palace, The Venetian and The Mirage.

In the Venetian, we walked around "little Italy", with a built in Canal (on the second floor, we will add) with gondolas you can ride, and shops all around to look like Venice. There is also a central area modelled like St Mark's Square, and the roof is painted like a blue sky with clouds. It is all pretty full on for an indoor area of a casino!

We then took the car down to the famous Las Vegas sign, and tried to get a parking spot in the little median strip but couldn't, so drove in and out 3 times to get the perfect photo!

After this, we took the car to a car park again to get some last minute photos of the beautiful machine, then we returned it to Avis at our Hotel.

 

This evening, we wanted to go to Fremont St, the old "strip" of Las Vegas. It now has an enclosed roof with light show and lots of entertainment. We caught the bus up there, and stopped at all the other hotels on the way. We arrived, right near the Golden Nugget Casino and walked around for about half an hour before we wanted to leave. We both did not like the feel of the place, with many people of, how do we put this -  questionable motives and morals hanging around there. We decided to not stay around too long, and made our way back to the Planet Hollywood Hotel on the Strip near ours to have some dinner, and wander around as we had not been there before. 

After a long day, we are back at our hotel now.. and getting ready for tomorrow.. our last full day on our holiday. 

Hope everyone is well. 

 

Ben and Steph 

About usadiary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.