Existing Member?

USA Diary

New York - Day 8: Greenwich Village, Garment District and Times Sqaure

USA | Saturday, 10 November 2012 | Views [292]

Today has been a long but enjoyable day. We have covered a fair bit of ground, since this morning did not go to plan. We woke up early to go down to Battery Park to catch a ferry to the Statue of Liberty... but slept in instead. So we caught a train on the same line, but got off at 14thW Street as it was as far as the train would go due to Hurricane Sandy damage to the subways. So we wandered around Greenwich Village, with a Starbucks hot chocolate with cream in hand, and took some amazing photos of this cute little nook of Manhattan. We found a quirky book shop, a lighting shop dedicated to Art Deco styled lamps, and a Strand Bookshop that we managed to get some things for friends and family. There was a lot of activity around Macey's New York, us learning there was a huge one day sale. The growds were... you actually have no idea. You could not move. The shop is 9 full floors, and is comparable to Myer, but way more awesome. Steph was out to get a watch, but could not quite find what she was after. Ben bought a New York style coat to keep warm, from the Calvin Klein mens department. It was $300 US, but on sale was down to $89 including tax. With the conversion it, it was less again, and a bonus 10% off that for being a visitor! Bargain. We also bought another travel case to put stuff in. 

We made our way back home, with Macey bags, and luggage, in search of lunch, or now, dinner as the time was nearing 5.30 and we were starving. We dumped the stuff in the hotel, and got Maccas for the first time in the US. We both got normal meals (Medium Cheeseburger meal for Ben, which is equivalent to a large in Aus, but you get 2 burgers, and Steph got a quarter pounder (same, medium which is really a large)). We have not eaten since! 

We came home to freshen up, do some washing in the laundry room (come on, we had to!) and then caught the subway down to Times Square. 

 

This place is... cannot even describe.. bright, fun, packed and so much to take in. The lights are awesome, and everyone is happy just to walk around. Being a Saturday night, it was super busy, and all the shops were open late. We walked in and out of Forever 21, the M&M shop, Toy's R Us and other little shops. With lots of photos taken of the lights, advertisments and people, we caught a train back up to 72nd W Street in search of our hotel after a day of walking, eating and taking photos. 

 

Hope you like today's... they are great. 

 

Ben and Steph xx

About usadiary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.