Existing Member?

USA Diary

Las Vegas - Day 17: Tickets, Bodies, Hotels and Blue Men

USA | Monday, 19 November 2012 | Views [336]

Today has been full on from the moment we got up. Well sort of.. we woke up late which was great after our night out at LAX. 

A McDonald's breakfast and coffee sorted out the tummies, and we were out of out hotel by 10.30. We wanted to go and buy tickets at the discounted ticket booth near the MGM Grand up the strip, so we could get cheaper entry to the Bodies Exhibition at our hotel, and the Blue Man Group show at the Monte Carlo. Although sunny, it was only about 18 degrees outside, but the sun was hot standing in line waiting for our tickets. We arrived, and purchased what we wanted with great discounts to see what we wanted. 

We made our to the Monte Carlo to exchange the ticket voucher for tickets so we didn't have to do it before the show.. and it was only across the road from the ticketing booth. When we got there, the lovely ladie behind the desk gave us better seats than what we had paid for, sitting in premium view A, when we had bought a C! Awesome. 

After this, we walked back through the hotels via sky walks to the Luxor to admit ourselves to the Bodies Exhibition. Wow. That is all we can say. It is a collection (a huge one) of real human bodies and organs, preserved to show how they work and inter-relate. It was bizzare knowing these were one real people.. and slightly creepy. We were not allowed to take photos in the galleries, as it was pretty graphic. With humans with no skin, just muscle and skeleton to show how they connect and operate. Others were just organs, and cross sections of other parts. Perhaps the weirdest was the nervous system section of the exhibit, with spines and nerves still in tact. The other weird ones were with muscles split away so you can see how they are connected to other parts. 

Some parts of the exhibit showed lung cancer, stroke and other medical abnormalities to help show people the damage that smoking can cause to ones body. It was pretty gross... all the tar in the lungs and black spot tumors around other organs. 

 

After leaving, feeling a little queezy, we relaxed at the hotel for a while, and then made our way over to the MGM Grand to do a bit of shopping. We stopped at the rainforest cafe, and also just looked around. 

We made our way home, and got ready in the afternoon to see the Blue Man Group. The show started at 9.30, so we went early and had an awesome dinner at the New York New York hotel. It was an Irish Bar, so we had Shepherd's Pie and a Irish Salad. Continuing after our delish dinner, we made our way to the Monte Carlo with our tickets and played on the slot machines. Ben won again, Steph lost again. 

The Blue Man Group is a creative display of music, sounds and visual effects made by all sorts of weird and wonderful equipment, by 3 Men all decked out in black clothes and blue skin paint. We got seated, and watched for the next hour and a half as they dazzled us with amazing accoustics and a fantastic stage show. It invlolved a rave party with huge glowing beack balls, audiece participation and thousands of meters of tissue paper. We loved every second of it, having bits of comedy throughout and loud bass from PVC pipes, robots and other weird machines. 

We have enjoyed our time in Vegas so far, and look forward to tomorrow too. 

 

Steph and Ben 

About usadiary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.