Existing Member?

USA Diary

Los Angeles - Day Three: Universal Studios

USA | Monday, 5 November 2012 | Views [352]

Universal Globe

Universal Globe

Hey all!

We woke up this morning, at aout 8.30 to already the heat from outside. The Californian sun was out in force today with a top of 33 Degrees... and it is Winter next month! We had today prebooked to visit Universal Studios, on the other side of the Santa Monica mountains. After a quick brekkie, with our favourite $3.99 US fruit salad, we caught a cab up Santa Monica Boulevard, and then a stretch of Hollywood Boulevard and onto the freeway. After approximatey a 35minute drive from our hotel, we were paying the cabby and walking out into the entrance area, seeing the famous rotating globe. There were crowds of people around, but due to the heat it was not as busy as we sort of expected. 

We went straight to get our tickets processed, and purchases a Front of Line Pass for US $49. This meant we could rock up to any attraction (once to each one) and push straight to the front of the line, including priority seating, no wait time and some little extras. Due to the heat today, this was welcomed as we didn't want to wait in the sun. 

After entering, we had a look around to take it all in, and then jumped on the first ride of "Studio Tour" including a 3D King Kong and the Mummy experience. Whilst waiting, and walking around, the studio had blasts of fresh mist to keep you cool. Definitely needed that today! The tour was fantastic, getting to see how movies are made, and famous sets such as Back to the Future, Jurrasic Park and Wysteria Lane from Desperate Housewives. We also saw their historic sound stages, which are all used today. Studios used by famous directors such as Alfred Hitchcock, were today been used for CSI filming. 

Other rides at the park were pretty good. We loved the Transformers and The Mummy rides, which were both 3D roller coaster experieces. The best of the two was the Mummy, and on our way out all excited a "manequin" Egyptian character scarred the hell out of Steph... he got a high five from Ben for a job well done. 

We also got on the Simpson's simulator, but we both thought this was not as good as the others. We both love the TV show, and were slightly disappointed. 

After trying all the rides, regratably without the Jurrasic Park one as it was closed, we did a bit of touristy shopping, and made our way home after wandering and looking around Universal for 5 hours. 

Tomorrow is our last day in the city of Angels, and we look forward to exploring the beaches and Rodeo Drive. Until then, over and out :)

 

Ben and Steph

 

About usadiary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.