Existing Member?

USA Diary

New York - Day 10: Rockefeller Centre and the Museum of Modern Art

USA | Monday, 12 November 2012 | Views [321]

Today in New York City, it has been cloudy with bursts of sun, and warm. Our normal two jackets would have been too much today. We had a great sleep in, and lazy start to the morning with a cooked breakfast on the corner of our hotel with a coffee to boot. We didn't have much planned for today, so we caught a train down to Times Square and walked through there during the day light hours. We tried to get tickets for a Broadway show, but they sell them half price on the day (in which we were going to go tomorrow) so we are going to wait. We made our way to the Rockefeller Centre, a series of Art Deco sky scrapers built in the 30's around 50th and 51st Street. The buildings are beautiful, and symmetrical, full of artwork, sculptures and an ice rink. We wandered around this cultural centre, taking it all in as we also snapped a few photos. 

 

Our next stop today was the Museum of Modern Art. It is on 53th St, so just a few blocks up. We wandered up there, and using our City Pass got in with no waits. We wandered up and down all the floors, looking at famous artworks from Matisse, Van Gogh, Dali and the imfamous "Scream" painting. It was interesting to see such high value works all in one place, and we enjoyed our time there. 

 

In the afternoon, looking for a bit of down time, we took some books and found a spot in Central Park with a hot chocolate from Starbucks too. We watched the animals in the gardens, and the people walk, ride and run past. It was nice to just sit for a bit and reflect on all we had done the last few days. Another part of Central Park we walked through today is "Strawberry Fields", a section dedicated to John Lennon of the Beetles who was shot in his appartment building next to Central Park on 72nd E St. It is a lovely place with lots of fans taking photos of all the murals and plaques. 

 

For dinner, we could not be bothered doing much, so we got Chinese delivered to our hotel. Ben also popped out to the Lavain Bakery, renowned in Manhattan for its' baked goods. He bought 2 cookies, $4 each, both so big in size it was unbelievable. We popped a bottle of wine and enjoyed a great meal with out the hassel of the hundreds of people in the streets of New York. The cookies were amazing.. with partially melted chocolate chips in the middle to add the texture. 

 

Today has been great, and relaxing, and we are looking forward, yet also sad, tomorrow is our last day in the Big Apple. 

 

 

Ben and Steph 

About usadiary


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.