Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

What it takes for this Somerset Man to be prepared for Kilimanjaro! - Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 12 August 2015 | Views [766]

South West Coast Path

South West Coast Path

Three weeks to go until the due date of our second child, seven weeks to go until I head off to climb the tallest free standing mountain in the world.

I have been asked a lot of questions about my training, about how I fit it all in. Most people I talk to have met someone who has been to the summit of Kilimanjaro without any training.

Personally I prefer to be overly prepared for everything.

So I thought I would share my preparation from last week

Daily –

  • Twice a day wipe my feet with surgical spirit (Lots) to try to harden the skin up.

  • Twice a day, three different types of leg stretches, to try to help cope with the shortness I have in my left hamstring and the issues it caused.

Monday – Walk, five mile with an 8kg rucksack, after my wife and son went to bed.

Tuesday – Lunch – Bike ride against the clock, 12 miles and 1000ft climbing in 49 mins.

Tuesday Evening – Badminton for 90 minutes, with my elevation mask, was simulating playing at 12000ft.

Wednesday – Bike ride after work, 20 miles, 1200ft climbed in an hour and a half, home in time for bedtime stories.

Thursday – Day off exercise, two and a half minute plank.

Friday – My wife went out, two minute plank and packing.

Saturday – Left at 4.30am, drove 110 miles to Bude. It has the most severe section of the south west coast path. 6.45am bus from Bude to Hartland, walked for an hour from Hartland to the start of the section at Hartland Quay arriving at 8.15 to start.

Hiked 18 miles, climbing 4,000ft in seven hours with a 12kg rucksack and it was a tad warm.

MASSIVE ice-cream and drove home in time for tea.

Sunday – Day off with the family.

In between this comes fundraising, blog writing and raising awareness of this challenge on social media, not to mention my full time work commitments! I have started designing the T-shirt with all the sponsoring company logos on.

If you have been meaning to sponsor me, there is still time for me to include your business logo, but please do send the logos to tonymattravers@live.co.uk by 21st August please.

After the baby comes at the end of August (ish) I may well run out of time for the T-shirts etc so will be trying to sort it all out by 28th August and have them all made ready .

https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, panic, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.