Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

It is all my adventure now – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 30 June 2015 | Views [746]

Shadow Hill

Shadow Hill

I had confirmation this week about something I had guessed, that a friend of mine who had chosen to join my trip, has now decided not to complete the challenge.

 

This stirred the emotions up inside me, is it better or worse on my own?  As someone who is more than happy in my own company, I found myself feeling  even more focused, more driven and most importantly of all, determined to make the most of this with the realisation that this is now exclusively MY adventure. But, I will miss having that ’buddy’ with me on the trek. Sure I’ll be walking with other people, but no one that I know from home, who can relate to the Somerset man that is taking on this challenge to hike up the highest freestanding mountain in the world, as well as the challenge of raising £5000 for Somerset Area Cruse Bereavement Care.

 

I now know why the business owners I work with take so much benefit from working with a business coach. It is a lonely hard place running a business, I am lucky to have the support of everyone reading this, family, friends, colleagues, business contacts, who are supporting what is now my solo challenge.

 

Last week’s blog ended with my sharing that I was going to focus on three things, those things which I can influence.

 

TRAINING - I have found it easier to want to do the additional training now that I know I’m on my own. Somehow the response in me has been that as I’m going to be doing this challenge on my own, I have to make sure that I’m the best possible shape.

Training was a total of 36 miles on my bike, included a fitness test around a 12 mile hilly route, which I managed to get my fastest time on this bike. Most encouraging is each time I do this, ever few weeks, I am getting faster. I maybe more willing to do the training, but time is still an issue, as I only managed a four mile walk.

 

HOUSE SELLING  - I have continued to work hard to ensure that the house is ready for viewings at all times (none yet which is a surprise and a bit disappointing), but I am relatively at ease with it as I have done everything that is in my control so now it’s down to the estate agents.

 

FUNDRAISING - And I have continued to use social media to try to encourage people to support me to raise funds for a charity that provides such excellent support at such difficult times. And in relation to the fundraising, I am delighted to let you know that my fundraising now stands at £3,130, which is 62% of the target.   

 

So, if you have already supported me, and would like to do more, please share this blog with your connections who may wish to support a Somerset man who wants to #achieveandgivesomethingback. And of course if you have been meaning to help me to help Cruse Bereavement Care Somerset, https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/.

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, mid life crise, panic, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.